Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Chicken Cacciatore

So three weeks ago I received the news that I am diabetic, and then two days ago I was told I have hypertension. All this at the ripe old age of 29. So sugar and salt must be removed from the diet. Well that sounds bland.
I came up with this recipe for a low sodium version of Chicken Cacciatore. Growing up we ate ALOT of chicken. I sometimes say my Mother knows more ways to cook chicken than anyone I know. Of them all this was my favorite. She made hers in the oven, I did mine on top of the stove. The oven method works for large batches and Mom always had to cook for a herd of us.

4 chicken leg quarters or 4 thighs and 4 drumsticks
Olive Oil
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomatoe paste
1 qt water (or low sodium chicken broth)
4 tbs balsamic vinegar
4 tbs garlic, chopped
One small red onion, sliced
One green pepper, sliced
1 tbs fennel seed
1 tbs crushed red pepper
1 tsp black pepper

In large dutche oven, heat a few tablespoons of Olive Oil over medium high heat.
Rinse and dry the chicken pieces and place them skin side down in the oil.
Sear a few minutes on each side, remove to a plate or tray.
Add the garlic, onion and pepper to the pot and saute until the onion is transluscent.
Add water or broth and deglaze the pan by scraping up all the bits stuck to the bottom.
Add vinegar, tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings. Stir well and bring to a boil.
Return the chicken pieces to the pot, adjust liquid if necessary to cover.
Reduce heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
I served mine over Rigatoni, but this will work over any pasta and goes well with rice and most especially with Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
If you're doing this in large batches, sear the chicken pieces and place them in a baking dish or roaster deep enough to hold them all.
Bake at 350 while you prepare the sauce. Once the sauce comes to a boil add it to the chicken and bake until done.
You can add salt to this, but I found it didn't need it, and I do like salt. Also feel free to experiment with herbs. Sage, Thyme, Oregano and Rosemary would work well as would a bit of red wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment